Originally written in November 2017. Updated August, 2018.
Would you agree?
That’s where the idea of a street team comes into being.
What is a Street Team?
It all began for me when my friend, Marion Ueckermann, mentioned the term to me during a Whatsapp call. I immediately asked if I could join hers to see how it worked. And, of course, I turned to Google to learn more.How to be Part of a Powerful Street Team. Read more here. Click To Tweet
At iUniverse I found this: “A street team is a group of volunteers who band together to promote an author and his or her book. Members of a street team are motivated by their love of an author’s work to promote it to as many people as possible.”
I learned a good deal from various sources, but most of all from a guest post by Jennifer Probst, a New York Times, USA Today, and Wall Street Journal bestselling author.
In Jennifer’s words, “A street team is a dedicated group of readers who like your work and are interested in helping promote your books. These readers are interested in helping to promote your book because your relationship with them is mutually beneficial. They get to hang out online with one of their favorite authors and receive exclusive material, and you get help with promotion to share new releases, giveaways, and special events.”
Wow! That sounds exciting.
Jennifer stresses that she allowed her group to grow slowly. She initially recruited 20 people she knew enjoyed her books, and it grew from there. Today, she has over 1,000 members, but not all are active. My feeling is I’d rather keep the group to a select number of supportive members.
Where did the idea of a Street Team come from?
It is a phenomenon that began in the music world. Fans of a group or musician passed on news by word of mouth, via social media, even helping the band set up for a concert. The payback for the fan was being in the trusted inner circle for their favorite band.
Today it is becoming increasingly popular in the publishing world.
What happens on a Street Team?
- It should be fun!
Jennifer says readers should want to drop into the page to see what’s happening.
- Members receive exclusive content.
- They will be the first to see cover reveals.
- Excerpts will be available to read from the author’s work in progress.
- They may have the opportunity to choose character names,
- to suggest activities for the characters in the story,
- and in other words, they will feel involved in the book.
- Group members who help in a specific way, may be acknowledged in the book when it comes out.
- They will have the opportunity to beta-read the completed book before publication, and make suggestions.
- Those who have read the book may add a short blurb for inclusion in the book.
- They may also receive the opportunity to buy the finished book at a special price before it is advertised (at a higher price) to the public.
So how does it work?
- We have a secret Facebook page with a small and enthusiastic membership. (That will include you if you let me know you’d like to join.)
- If you want to be part of this select group, write me a note in the comment section and explain why you’d like to join, and I’ll invite you.
- A number of the group (but not all) are also beta-readers, so have the opportunity to read in advance and make suggestions or corrections.
- I know life happens! You are not committing to always do everything that I suggest. e.g. perhaps you are unable to beta-read a book, or read an ARC (Advanced Readers’ Copy) with a view to writing a review. That’s okay, as long as you do what you can to promote the book under discussion.
What’s in it for you?
- There will be exciting news about upcoming books and members will have the opportunity to get an ARC (Advanced Readers Copy) free.
- I will post occasional excerpts from upcoming books to whet your appetite.
- You will be offered an ARC for your Kindle (or pdf format if you prefer). Reviews are always welcome, but not obligatory.
- You will be part of an enthusiastic team and enjoy seeing the spread of the promotional material.
- In the process, you will gain insight, as I did from my friend’s page, on how you can create your own group or promotional material.
Regardless of whether you want to be part of this exciting new venture or not, would you like to be kept in touch through my newsletter? Please fill in your name and email here and please don’t forget to check the box marked email. I know, it’s silly. But if you don’t, I cannot legally send you the newsletter!
I promise never to share your email address with anyone else, and you can unsubscribe at any time. I won’t fill your inbox with spam, and you will only hear from me when there is specific news to share.
Current book in production: God in Africa ~ 90 Days in the Land of Majesty and Mystery. Read about it by following this link and if you’d be interested in helping bring this book together, do drop me a note in the comment section below.