Feeling a bit blue or discouraged? Maybe it’s time to give yourself not one, but many pats on the back. We get plenty criticism, lots of rejection and an abundance of put-downs. Now is the time to lift yourself up.
Try the following:
- Record your recent accomplishments.
- List any affirmations you’ve received. If you’ve had a letter of praise, make a summary of it.
- Think of all the good things you’ve done recently, and thank yourself.
No one’s going to read this, so pour it all out.
If you find it difficult to encourage yourself, make a list of things you’re don’t like about yourself. Then cancel out your negative self-talk and replace it with positive statements.
- I can’t—with I can . . .
- I’m not able to—with I’m able to . . .
- If only I could—with I’m sure I can . . .
Think of any difficult situations you face in the near future. List the challenges for each one, then write at least one affirmation for each one.
- I can do that . . .
- I’m able to complete all these . . .
- I’m sure I can make a good job of this . . .