In another post, I gave you seven suggestions to combat that awful afternoon slump. For those of you doing NaNoWriMo, the cut-off time is approaching faster than you’d like, so these next few suggestions may just help you make it.
1. Listen to music while you work. Music increases the flow of endorphins in your body. This will give you more energy. Experiment with what type of music stimulates you. Don’t go for lullabies!
2. Take a power-nap. This should not be for more than 20 minutes. Try dozing off in a comfy armchair, or lying on top of the bed. If you’re at work, head for the car during your lunch-hour (and don’t forget to set your cellphone alarm!) Some people find a cushion on their desk does the trick, although this would kill my back. Others stretch out on the floor. Find what works for you. A 20 minutes nap may result in a more productive afternoon in the long run.
3. Identify your low-energy times. For me it’s around 11 a.m. and again at about 2 p.m. Have some snack-attack fuel in the kitchen that you can grab that will help to boost your energy. Avoid sugary quick-fixes or caffeine. Their boost is followed by a slump worse than ever. Examples of healthy snacks: low-fat cheese, cottage cheese, a small spoonful of peanut butter, a handful of soy nuts, almonds or sunflower seeds.
4. Eat halfway through the afternoon. Have a banana or other fruit, or even some yoghurt to keep your body charging.
5. Stand up and stretch. No, I mean really stretch. Regular stretches will help unclog the arteries in your brain and thus increase the flow of oxygen to this important part of your thinking process.
6. Take some deep breaths; in through the nose and out through the mouth. These will give you a quick boost of oxygen. Try coupling this one with #5.
7. Try an acupuncture technique: Pinch the flabby area between your thumb and forefinger and hold for a few minutes.
8. Inhale peppermint oil. I’ve heard using peppermint oil in a burner, or by dabbing it on your wrists increases your energy. I haven’t tried this yet, but peppermint oil’s on my next shopping list!